Monday, July 3, 2017

Is your teen manipulating you?





The other day my teenage daughter casually asked me out of the blue if I had any errands that I needed her to run for me.  Seeing how she doesn't have her own car and would need to use my car, and also given the fact that she rarely offers this wonderful service, I found it a little strange and out of the ordinary for her.  When I told her that I didn't have any errands for her to run, she hemmed and hawed a bit and then eventually dropped the subject.

A short time later she came back to me and asked if she could use my car to go do something with her friends.  It was at that point that I realized how she was earlier trying to manipulate me into using my car for her own interests.  While this isn't the biggest or most disappointing thing in the world for her to try and pull over on me, it did frustrate me a little and got me thinking about how frequently teens try to manipulate parents. Sometimes this manipulation is for fairly innocent things (like using a car), while at other times it can be for things of a more serious and possibly detrimental nature.

As a parent, always being able to recognize and be aware of manipulation can be challenging.  Even more challenging at times, is knowing what to do about it and how to handle it when it does occur.  The following is an article that I stumbled across awhile back with some helpful tips and pointers for dealing with manipulation from our children.  I hope you find it helpful!


Is your teen manipulating you? https://www.ksl.com/?sid=42196802

No comments:

Post a Comment